Monday, March 31, 2014

Music choice

I'm sorry, but is it a crime for a Christian to like secular songs equally or sometimes more than "Christian" songs? Can I help it if at times I prefer the aggressive, moving rhythm of  T.I, CCR, Usher, etc. to the highly predictable chord progression of most modern worship songs out there today? Like seriously, I can turn into your local Christian radio station and just about predict how the music will go. And sometimes, I'm really not in the mood to listening to lovely, sweet, encouraging, uplifting, whatever. I'm not fooling anyone, least of all myself--those nice lyrics about "raising my hands" and "looking to You"--not what I feel like right now. I do sometimes, and sometimes I want to force myself to that mood. When I do, I'm all about that Tenth Avenue North and the Newsboys. But every other moment, I'm not about to lie with my listening preferences by doing the whole "wholesome music only" thing.

Thank you middle and high school sunday school for your valuable lessons, advice, and teachings on Biblical worldviews, mindsets, and especially, liberty. I think I'll take that liberty  now, and crank my Jane's Addiction without shame.

No comments: